Saturday, June 6, 2009

What I learned from Sex and the City part 11


In season six episode 83 of Sex and the City (A Woman's Right to Shoes) We are taken down the road of being single and celebrating the idea. Not a new concept for the show, but the most obvious playing out of the theme.
Carrie gets invited to a party of a friend who's now married with kids. While there a very pricey pair of Manolo Blanhniks go missing, and this ends up distressing Carrie (yeah I would be freaking out too). The story then goes on to discuss the idea that being single is never acknowledged in the grand scheme of things.
Well why not?
We as a society are programed to believe that we are nothing without a partner, that when you are less then half a pair you are less then important.
In the end of the episode she gets her pay back by registering for a mock wedding shower.

Many times in the episode she is told by the friend to stop thinking about the missing shoes, and that it is childish for Carrie to be so upset over the issue.
So many times in my life I have been upset over something or needing answers to a situation, and my married friends/the mommies around me laugh and tell me I am being silly. They really hate it when I point out that just a few years ago they would have reacted the same way to the same situation.

I am not saying our priorities don't change when we change our status but why is it that we as single women have to be made feel like a child?
The question of the week is "When did we stop being free to be you and me?"

For all my bitching and ranting about being single and not finding a sensible guy to even consider being with, I have to admit, there are times when I love my freedom. I love the fact I don't have to answer to anyone about where I am going, or why I spent $89 on a sweater, or having to share my tiny bathroom with anyone. I love the fact that if I want to go for coffee at 3am I can without anyone raising an eyebrow wondering where I am sneaking off to. I love the fact that I don't have any little sticky finger prints all over my tv screen, and that I am not tripping over Legos or Tonka trucks.

Here's to being single and fabulous. Happy Single-ness to me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails