Monday, October 5, 2009

The Vampire Diaries : Brother vs Brother




There was alot of huffing and puffing over this "new" vampire series geared for teens.
I was both giddy and upset over the whole idea. Giddy because this was one of my favourite series of books when I was in high school 20 years ago.
Upset that so many people are shocked to find out they are that old.

Yes, L.J. Smith's uber cool vamps are older then most of her new fans.

These are the covers I remember.

Now, it was cool to find out they were getting a double volume reissue last spring, as I only had part one in my collection, the others I remember having borrowed from the library a million years ago, so the new packaging was cool.
Then the tv show happened. And yet again another set of covers. Confusing isn't it?

Anyway, I just checked out the first episode of the show, and found it to be decent enough. Like everything they modernized it to fit the times. Which given there is to be a second series of books out in the new year, that's fine.

The main theme which is two vampire brothers fighting over one girl seems to be a popular one for many reasons. And one of my favourites I must say.

The first book was released within months of the movie To Die For (later to be renamed Dracula a Love Story to Die For) which follows the story of two vampire brothers who are fighting over one girl. This spawned a sequel called To Die 4 Too Son of Darkness.


Then less then a year later, we were given from Full Moon what one might say is the longest independent vampire series Subspeices.
Once again two vampire brothers fighting over the same girl. This time they even name one of them Stefan.
It had 3 sequels under the Subspeices name and a spin off under the Vampire Journals.

All of these films are part of my collection in one way shape or form.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails