Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Where is your Devotion?

I rented a movie last night from iTunes Canada, Mistress of Spices. They had a bunch of romantic movies on special because of this weekend being Valentines.

Mistress of Spices is about a woman who has learned the art of herbs and their healing properties. When she meets a man who she falls in love with, she is forced to choose between her life so far and what he represents.

Of course I cried through the whole movie.

You realize right off the bat that the spices are her religion. It's where her faith lays. I think I cried as much for the love story part as I did for the realization that I have no such devotion.
I never have.
For me, the only thing that would come even sort of close would be writing. But still, there has not been one thing I have devoted myself to with such comfort and strength as the character in this story has. Yes it was one of those movies that makes you stop and think and check in with your soul. I hate it when that happens. I signed up for a sweet little romance with a for sure happy ending, instead I ended up with spiritual gut check.

There is a scene in this film where the lead character is in her shop praying in front of her alter asking the spices for advice. That nailed me to the quick. I have been Pagan now for 22 years, and have studied different spiritual paths just enough to be able to blend together my own path.
But, nothing over the years have given me anything solid that I feel I belong to.

Follow me.

I have never given myself over in total devotion to any one path. I find it simply fascinating when other people do, no matter what religion or spiritual path they follow.
When I meet people who are devoted wholly to something, I am always left in awe and wishing I could be that way.

This movie in very much in line with other magick-food movies like; Like Water for Chocolate, Simply Irresistible, Chocolat, Ramen Girl and Woman on Top. Which I have to say, above all are my favourite genre films. Movies that mix cooking with magick. Cause in the end, that's all it is really, recipes and spells are the same thing. It's what you put into them when making them that counts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails