Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Metal Years

Picture it, it was 1988 my best friend and I had just seen Decline of the Western Civilization Part 2 The Metal Years (I was 14 and she was 12) and loved it! What came next for Erin and me would be the comedy style of The Comic Strip in the film More Bad News A Heavy Metal Nightmare.
Granted we were already long haired heavy metal heads totally in love with the look created two years before by the movies Trick or Treat and Black Roses (still love the opening concert scene with the Lizzy Borden song "Me Against The World")
I still own my first leather jacket and my old Motorhead and Exodus tee shirts.

So when I got my hands on copies of the two documentaries by Sam Dunn Global Metal and Metal: A Headbanger's Journey I got not just hyper on the music but started going through old diaries and photos. It's hard to believe that it's been 21 years since Decline Metal Years came out. Even harder to believe that we used to spend 45minutes doing our hair (not including make up) to have it looking like a truck was flying past us at 90 miles an hour indoors. (No I am not going to show you a photo on Erin's threat of killing me with a chainsaw) I don't think we missed an episode of Power Hour (later to be Power 30 then to be Loud) between 1988 and 1999. Dan Gallagher was our idol for getting to interview L.A. Guns. (remember the classic episode when Phil Lewis dropped his pants infront of the MuchMusic windows. )

I was out with mom the other week and she heard a song coming from someone's open window as their car zipped past. Turning to me she said "I am sorry I ever made fun of the music you listened to when you were younger. I couldn't understand a thing they were screaming and I wish I couldn't understand the stuff these rappers say. It's all nothing but f-this and f-that. Makes me long for some Sepultura"

Got to love that eh?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails