Wednesday, October 22, 2008

One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell.....part two

I just finished reading this novel.
I managed to read it in under 3 days. Any other author's work would have that a record for me, but Candace Bushnell's books are like chocolate candies to me. Once you pick it up you can't stop till its gone.

Two characters I wish she had spent more time on- Philip and Schiffer. They were a fabulous idea but could have used some extra chapters on them as a couple. I hope Bushnell is thinking of bringing them back in other novels.

I found myself really really hating, just hating the character of Lola. I just kept waiting for something horrible to happen to her. I hated that character because she was written too well, like too many twenty-somethings I have to deal with in real life.

Without giving away too much of the story -it centers around a group of people living in a very colourful and gritty building on One Fifth Avenue in New York. Two married couples, a famous writer, a movie star, an aged society lady, and a tart. Toss in some stolen art, blackmail, sex and desperation and it is one hell of a read.

The gods must have been whispering in Bushnell's ear when she wrote this, because she peppered it with mentions of Sex and the City, which for fans of hers is all it would take to get the jokes.

This book is worth it to pick up hardcover. It is on my top list of recommends to my friends.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails